Sv: Låg hastighet på kvällen

jonasolof skrev:

Well, and I guess it would be preposterous by us to say that we fully understand the problems that you have. At least I don't. Can only postulate/guess.

Which I appreciate very much smile

jonasolof skrev:

Yes,both streaming video or radio,which uses less data, shoul, I believe, keep th connection alive. However, both vifeo and radio is streamed by the UDP protocol, instead of common FDP, so there could be a difference.

If a multicarrier modem goes into idle or into a one carrier mode even when processing heavy traffic,there is a software problem in the router or an interaction problem between the router and the net. But it might also be a forced load balancing act from the network system

Can you see if your ip address changes when the retardation occurs? That would then indicate a broken connection and possibly a shift in cell connection. Check PN also.

New development: today I noticed a different WAN IP address in the modem, but I don't know if this actually occurred during a retardation… I haven't noticed any dropped carriers today and/or retardation, but of course one can't look in the modem every minute of the day. PN is still the same on 240. Don't know if this new info sheds any light on anything smile

27 Senaste redigerad av jonasolof (2013-02-04 17:05:31)

Your PN should not change since it is the denomination of the cell/sector of the base station. The ip-address hould change when the modem is released/unattached from the network. However, as mentioned in another thread, ip-addresses can't be expected to remain unchanged for ever unless they are static and paid for.

However, ADSL is a kind of dhcp system. My adsl connection on Öland retained the same address for seven years until I changed the router and thereby the mac address. The address did not change even when there were several day long power outages. Now it has remained the same for three years... And Telia says there is no room for more ADSL at the station... Go figure.

All rules don't apply all the time..

LTE testare på 4G 2600, 1800, 900, 800 med Fritzbox AVM 6890, AVM6840, AVM6842, AVM 6820 och AVM 7590/7490/7390 samt diverse mifis från ZTE och Netgear. Några huaweimodem på hyllan.

@jonasolof
I would call this disinformation or "smoke",...!

If Your ADSL connection act this way then You
did use the old Telia "Triple Play" Modem witch
act as "bridge mode" and a WinOS PC witch request
the last IP in the request for "renew" to the dhcpd
server,... (if it's free You get it)

Not more, not less,...
(no idea what they use today,... and don't care)

For info about dhcp:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHCP
and for the IPv4 please take a look in RFC 2131,...

This is how it come to the "data part" of the modem,
over ADSL or by/on/in a "wave" to a radio-modem
of witch i do know less,...

@Fabmini
The change of WAN address You should not note at all,
(as i read Your situation), (and no ping should be required),

Your problem was/are:
1: low speed at evenings,
2: modem go to "sleep", i think You call it,...

Let's take the last first:
When no traffic to Internet, (or mast), the modem go "idle",
only one Carrier and no DRC shown, "-",
when You start traffic DRC should come to life, and more
Carrier, (i only have two),...
If not Your modem are broken,... (test with another)

In the beginning, after upgraded firmware to:
    MV600_ETH_Net1SD_v1.7.2 2012-11-06 11:42:16
My R-90 "hang" or fresh after about 10 hour, every time and
day,... it "hang" with DRC, and all other numbers as they
was at the time of "hanging", and Connect LED off,...
Rebooting the modem was the only way out,...

This stopped sometime in December without i did
anything, so i guess it was "in the mast",...(?) (or temp(?))
now in January it ran for 3 weeks without problem 24 hour/day.
So this symptom seems different from Your problem,...?

Your DRC seems low to me, compared with Your antenna data,...
on the other hand:
3x1843.2 kbps = 5529,6 and give same result as my:
2457.6 kbps + 3072.0 kbps = 5529,6,...!(?)

This number should be the maximum speed of the connection
if no other than You was using that mast at the time,...
my tests, at nights, show that i get peeks of 10-20 sec
at near that rate,...

Of cause feedback from other users of "Your" mast would be
very valuable,...! (and/or with 3 Carrier)
<ole>

@jonasolof
I would call this disinformation or "smoke",...!

If Your ADSL connection act this way then You
did use the old Telia "Triple Play" Modem witch
act as "bridge mode" and a WinOS PC witch request
the last IP in the request for "renew" to the dhcpd
server,... (if it's free You get it)

Not more, not less,...
(no idea what they use today,... and don't care)

For info about dhcp:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHCP
and for the IPv4 please take a look in RFC 2131,...

This is how it come to the "data part" of the modem,
over ADSL or by/on/in a "wave" to a radio-modem
of witch i do know less,...

I'll only answee that part. I first had a zylex triple play modem/router at my summer house in Sweden. The LAN after there are a number of acces points in a star configuration. The only unit permanently connected to the LAN is the alarm system's IP port for imbound connections. I only use a PC when I visit the place. all connected units have static ip address. Thus, there isn't any PC that could demand am WAN ip address through the ADSL modem/router.

As mentioned, the WAn address did not change for several years.I always used that address for connecting to the alarm system from my other home. Eventually the zylex adsl/triple play router started misbehaving and I replaced it with a Dlink 2740 B adsl modem/router. With a new mac address, the WAN address changed but then remained the same for a couple of years until it suddenly changed. I had to ask a neighbour who gets internet over a WLAN link to look up the new IP address. That new address has now remained unchanged for one year. As a safety, I also have DynDNS in the router. In the ipad app that I use for connecting to surveillance cameras, I use the dyndns address just to be sure that it works. I believe that the MAC address of the router is the determining factor in keeping the same IP address here. Same as with cable modems. The router uses NAT so there is no way it could act only as a bridge to a LAN which has 192.168.xxx.xxx. adresses.

I don't try to explain why my non static WAN address only changed three times in ten years. At the other end of the connection, here in Belgium, I use a AVM7390 triple play ADSL/VDSL router. Here, the address changes every fifth day according to the log if there aren't any  line disturbances.   And I agree with Ole that my "info" on adsl WAN addressing is irrelevant to the question of CDMA 450 ip address attribution.

As Ole mentions, feed back from other users would be valuable. Maybe resellers of Net1 in the area would know some users,

LTE testare på 4G 2600, 1800, 900, 800 med Fritzbox AVM 6890, AVM6840, AVM6842, AVM 6820 och AVM 7590/7490/7390 samt diverse mifis från ZTE och Netgear. Några huaweimodem på hyllan.

30 Senaste redigerad av Fabmini (2013-04-06 13:50:55)

@Ole2
Thank you for also taking the time to look into my modem's weird behaviour!
I've since been in further contact with Net1, and they said my antenna probably isn't oriented properly. I once tried to connect to other, less congested masts, but, no matter where I turned my antenna to, I was only ever able to receive the one (congested) mast in Filipstad. Apparently that can happen if you're unlucky enough to live right in-between masts ;-).
At that time the DRC values weren't yet available in the modem, so I completely focused on the RSSI values: the lower, the better was my reasoning. My ec/lo values didn't seem too bad either, but it now turns out they're not so good after all: they are often -2 to -4 causing quite a bit of interference for the modem to "fix", and should be improved to around 0 or -1, along with the best DRC values possible. The RSSI values don't need to be mega-low, around -75 should be good enough.

So, this is what might be causing my modem to act so strangely sometimes: it has to cope with too much interference because the antenna is probably picking up the signal from reflection or something.
The Net1 person also confirmed Jonas Olof's suggestions about using a second (upload) antenna. Even though my modem is connected to an outside antenna (which does both down- and upload), the other antenna jack on the modem should definitely still be used. The lack of upload capacity I presumably now have, together with the interference, might be what's causing all that stuttering on the VoIP phone.

Well anyway, it all comes down to spending another afternoon on the roof adjusting the antenna once again, and, in addition to looking at RSSI, mainly monitoring ec/lo and DRC this time. And probably, getting a second antenna. Can't wait to see if all this will finally make my connection more stable.

If it's still no joy after that, there'll be only one thing left to do: apply for the business subscription.

Thank you everyone for all your help and patience!

The router always sends through the main antenna connector, which is also used for receiving.

The auxiliary antenna connector is not used for upload but for diversity reception. You need to study the concepts of fading and diversity to understand why a second antenna is useful. Before Net1 was upgraded to the triple carrier system, soft handover was used. This meant also that the router could at times be connected to two different base stations at the same time. In those cases one could actually use two antennas directed at different base stations.

After the upgrade to three carrier system, the soft handover has been replaced by hard handover. Both antennas should now be directed towards the best mast.

The account manager at Net1 told me the second antenna is only for upload. Perhaps he doesn't know about diversity reception ;-)
As long as there's a good chance a second antenna will help, then I'm happy!

He was wrong or he misunderstood what upload implies. By the way,
Net1 support has often referred clients to this forum for complex questions.

Diversity reception helps the router to put in place packets which are lost to the main antenna because of rapid fading, i.e. variations in signal strength. UHF fading is a very rapid phenomena and not at all like the slow fading that short wave listeners know. There is also a spatial dimension, so that when signal strength is low at a particular point, it can be high a mere meter away. That's what diversity means, you try to pick up the signal where it is strongest.

Fast recordings of signal strength show that fading often only implies a 3dBm variation. However, the signal strength sometimes drops to 1/1000 of the mean value. A diversity antenna helps the router to replace what would have been dropped at such occasions at which multipath signals reach the main antenna out of phase so that the sum is almost zero.

Voip suffes badly from packet loss and retransmissions, so more steady reception should improve your experience. At the cell tower diversity reception is also used, since the sector transmits and receives with two antennas.

Also, it shpuld be noted that it can be an advantage to mount a second antenna 90 degrees differently from the first antenna. You then also use polarization diversity to further enhance reception of the two identical data streams sent from the sector antennas at different polarization angles.