Tråd: Restituting FW image in AVM6840 intl, a way to do FW upgrade

It should be possible to browse the PC for a downloaded FW upgrade from the router if one does not have internet access over LTE. However, it did not work for my int version router since no option appears that lets you browse for the file on the PC. There seems to be this option with the German version and hopefully this will be fixed for the international version.

One has to make a full restitution of firmware - this is what to do: Go to ftp.avm.de, chose fritzbox, then avm6840 LTE, then directory firmware, then English and chose the image file which contains the latest FW update. Download this file which is executable to the computer. Now link the router over LAN1 (left most) RJ45 to the PC. When clicking on the executable, you will see that it recommends you to use the "red cable delivered with the route". The yellow cable that came with mine is a normal LAN cable and works perfectly well.

Be sure to have the router at its default IP 192.168.178.1 and set the PC to 192.168.178.2. Support said that it should work with other IP addresses but it did not for me. As you click the executable you are instructed to unpower the router for a moment. The instruction to restitute power comes immediately after the next click. Now the executable file will look for the router and upgrade it to factory settings with the latest FW. It is obviously simpler to upgrade over LTE since settings are then retained, but if you don't have LTE there...

If you end up in a situation - without the router having downloaded the FW file- where the INFO led blinks two blinks and then a pause, the router can appear unreachable. Be sure to unplug any connected LAN cable andcycle power with a good pause. Both I and support thought that the router was bricked, but unplugging the lan cable etc made it come alive again and the upgrade could be done with the executable restitution file.

There are good reasons to upgrade to 05.50 since you get real time graphs of signal parametersas well as many other gadgets

LTE testare på 4G 2600, 1800, 900, 800 med Fritzbox AVM 6890, AVM6840, AVM6842, AVM 6820 och AVM 7590/7490/7390 samt diverse mifis från ZTE och Netgear. Några huaweimodem på hyllan.