1 Senaste redigerad av jonasolof (2012-05-03 08:53:10)

Tråd: GPS GNS5870 on off problem solved with small switch

The GNS 5870 works great as a GPS for ipad/iphone but I'm as frustrated as others by the finicky swipe switch so I decided to glue a regular switch to the PCB even though the guarantee period is not over yet. GNS says that a firmware update (which can only be made at the factory in Germany) solves the problem but I don't trust them and I don't like the swipe idea anyhow. It could still turn on by touching adjacent objects.

The case is easily opened and there is enough room for a sub-miniature "rocker" switch at the side of the USB connector. I cut the black cable to the battery and soldered it to the bipolar two way switch. Then I just made a hole in the side for the protruding part of the switch. It protrudes only 2,5 mm. I could have used a subminiature slide switch but I had the rocker (sw. vippa) at home.

Even though it is now easy to switch off the device and avoid that it turns on in a pocket, it is as difficult as before to swipe it on. Now this doesn't matter since I can easily jump start the device with any 5 volt source, such as a 5 volt Li-Ion power pack which I would bring anyhow for extra power - or a small GSM phone emergency charger. Three AAA batteries as in a small LED torch is enough to trigger the GPS. When power is applied, the unit starts. I then toggle the switch to bring in the battery and remove the external power unless I want to charge the GPS. I can thus also operate the GPS on an almost depleted external pack without an empty internal GPS battery drawing power fron the external source, causing voltage to drop and the GPS to switch off.

The body of the switch is 7x5x4 mm and only the rocker part protrudes to the side. The height of 4 mm is abt 0.8 mm more than the battery so I used the soldering iron to make room for the switch in the cover without leaving a mark on the outsid. Both parts of the cover snap together as before.

http://youtu.be/Jo2ZO9hu4rk

GNS should have done this ASAP as it became clear that people are frustrated with the way the device is turned on and off. I'm afraid it's prestige though.

I posted this in English in  this Swedish broad band forum since I can't sign in on aviation forums where the GNS 5870 is most discussed.

LTE testare på 4G 2600, 1800, 900, 800 med Fritzbox AVM 6890, AVM6840, AVM6842, AVM 6820 och AVM 7590/7490/7390 samt diverse mifis från ZTE och Netgear. Några huaweimodem på hyllan.