Tråd: Dovado 4GR retarting without Connection Tracker

Hi,

I bought a Dovado 4GR from Clas Ohlson at the start of December to use with Tre's mobil broadband.

Everything is actually working well apart from the fact that the 4GR router restarts itself 2-3 times a day, without Connection Tracker being configured. The connection to Tre seems pretty stable as I've tested the connection directly to the laptop and never seen any issues usually getting 10Mb d/l & 2.5mb u/l with about 50% signal strength.

Has anyone else seen similar restarting?

My biggest concern is that the router is faulty in someway, and I must say my suspisions are increased as the router statistics indicated 15Gb of usage when I connected it straight out of the box and the default passwords wouldn't work. I had to do a factory reset of the unit to access it.  However the unit and packaging were sealed and looked unused when I opened them up.

The modem is a Tre branded Huawai E372 and I'm running 5.0.12 firmware on the 4GR.

Cheers

Sv: Dovado 4GR retarting without Connection Tracker

Hi Friday,

I know that this is not the ideal setup, but could you please see if the same issue arises after disabling the WLAN on the router? We are currently looking at updating the WLAN driver to see if that will stabilize the overall performance in the long run. All the folks who have disabled WLAN have noted a significant improvement in uptime. I kindly refer you to this discussion thread on the topic: http://www.mobilabredband.se/forum/view … hp?id=3899

We aim to incorporate, verify and qualify the new driver at the soonest. It just arrived today from our chipset supplier, and will need some further work.

Many thanks,

Sam

No probs,

I'll disable the built in WLAN and connect it to another access point when I get home and let you know if it helps the situation.

I also have a Tellstick connected to the system if that makes a difference to the stability?

Cheers

tfi

4 Senaste redigerad av Sam (2011-12-27 12:59:17)

The TellStick should not be an issue. Our biggest hiccup so far has been the WLAN driver, and its interaction with portion of the router that holds the Internet connection up. As many have noted in the past, our firmware 4.3.3 offered more stability on the router and that's because of the original WLAN driver. Alas, we had to upgrade it on account of iOS & Intel interopability issues. The trade-off there was that the router lost a few reliability points on the mobile broadband uptime. We are doing our utmost to correct that, in hopes of that the new driver we just got in may offer that solution. My personal feeling is that it works rock solid without WLAN, so if you have an AP or 2nd router you can place behind the 4GR for now, then do so in order to verify the uptime. This is by no means a long term solution or suggestion on how the device should be used in a broader sense, but it is a workaround until we have completed our ongoing objective.

Thank you

No problem,

it is solves the stability issues in the short term for me, till the new firmware is available I'll be more than happy.
I've got a couple of access points at home so I'll hook one up and monitor the uptime.

Thanks again!

Alright, and please keep us posted on your uptime with the Huawei E372. My own test at home is using the Connection Tracker.

Thanks

Whilst you are at it, set the authentication to WPA2/AES instead of WPA1/WPA2 mix mode, that saved me some heartburn and improved the uptime considerably, still with WLAN active and no additional router, although I am using the E1750 and E367 on my 4GR's but that should not make a major difference.

That's true, especially if you have any apples in your basket.  wink

Yep, no major Apple usage other than a couple of iPhones connected to WLAN, and I was running WPA2 only, although with both TKIP and AES ciphering.

Anyway, WLAN is disabled and Access Point (Apple Airport Express) is now connected to the 4GR and working as expected.

I'll keep you posted on the uptimes.

thanks again!

Doesn't look like it made much difference. I had a couple of restarts during the night at 02:12 and again at 02:27 unfortunately.

Hi as your router was tampered with i would return it and demand a new router ASAP. Claes must have repacked the box with new plasticks they sertenly have the means to do so. Because your restarts does not match the normal problems that have been written about here. And if your router didnt work with default password is a dead give away. just go back with it and clame a new one!! Best Regards Mrcom

Yep the fact the traffic counters that were visible on the router config page showed 15gb down stream out of the box seemed weird. So possible the previous owner had the same issues. Anyway Dovado support want to see the logs, so hopefully that shows something more positive.

13 Senaste redigerad av tfi_friday (2011-12-30 14:22:04)

From the logs, Dovado support are saying it's probably the same issue everyone else has with the WLAN, even though the WLAN is disabled. New firmware may or may not fix it, if and when it arrives...

3 restarts already this morning  roll with WLAN disabled

tfi_friday skrev:

From the logs, Dovado support are saying....

Is there a a log in Your Dovado ?????

No one else has this, and Sam (Dovado) has made a BIG issue of that there is no need for a LOG in the Dovado routers....

Please clarify !

Regards,
Erland

They're encrypted logs (logs.bin), anyone can extract them from the router, but only Dovado can decrypt and read them.

I think it's already posted on the forums how to pull the logs out

Hi !

Thank's for this info !!
So there is a log in the Dovado routers.... !!!

Wonder what the reasons are for keeping it encrypted...............
instead of making it accessible to the user, struggling to solve the problems with their Dovado setup..

Shame on You Dovado !!

Regards,
Erland

Hey Snoopy,

A log file extraction is routine procedure for any cases we need to dive into once people contact us via the support portal (if you've ever bothered using it). This is not a news flash. It's been done for years. I have stated a recent while back now that a user-friendly syslog is coming in a future firmware update. I had already informed Cii on this forum about that if you poke around. Yes, POKE around, and not POST around.

Your campaign tonight to discredit us as a brand, and me personally as a original member of this forum is quickly becoming counterproductive; and eventually give us very little reason to continue (after 4 years of) contributing and assisting folks in a anonymous member arena such as this forum; where people such as yourselves have the luxury to slander others from the shadows. How many companies do you know would even participate in such a public anonymous arena that wasn't managed by them? I personally have put in a lot of time and effort in assisting people long before you joined, even if their issue is completely unrelated to our product. What you are doing now is taking away not only the time, but the will for me to continue doing the work I have set out to do. I work 24/7 to help people. Regardless of what you think about our brand, do not forget that behind each brand are people. Hard working people, with dedicated co-founders such as myself.

You have an issue with not being able to read logs, and we heard you loud and clear the first time. Cii has been even louder way before you, and I have stated that we simply haven't gotten around to introducing a user-friendly syslog. We intend to do it, as stated earlier. Your paranoid implications of us spying on users is as ridiculous as saying that there's a camera hidden in your toilet. Simply put, nobody's interested in seeing what you have to show. You ought to be more concerned with the cookies in your browser each time you visit a social networking site than the dozen employees at my company who got better things to do than play KGB.

And as mentioned, had we even been able to devise from a log file what is wrong with the 4GR's uptime when WLAN is enabled, then we would have resolved the entire situation before it ever would have even become one.

Good night, and Happy New Year.

Sorry if I've opened a can of worms here, as I figured the encrypted log file was common knowledge.
I'd just like to say I've had nothing but fast and efficient support with the router, both here, from Sam, and directly through the Dovado support. Yep I've got problem with my configuration, but how a company deals with issues and handles them says as much for a company as its products.

tfi_friday skrev:

Sorry if I've opened a can of worms here, as I figured the encrypted log file was common knowledge.

It IS common knowledge. It's just that you have people who would rather shoot first, and ask questions later.

We will continue supporting folks here as much as we can. I have no ambition in ejecting ourselves out of this on account of disgruntled customers. We're not here for applause. We're here for feedback. The only thing that irritates the p-ss out of me are the sporadic bot invasions we had a while back. I hope we can do more to improve this forum and maybe get some more suppliers in on it as well. You as consumers should be entitled to that, but I doubt they will be willing to participate on these conditions.

Happy New Year

20 Senaste redigerad av cii (2012-01-01 13:27:15)

Sam skrev:

A log file extraction is routine procedure for any cases we need to dive into once people contact us via the support portal (if you've ever bothered using it).

But, wait a sec Sam.  Snoopy seems to want to do just that: "bother using it" himself, in an attempt to avoid the overhead of having to contact the router manufacturer.  He simply wants to "dive into" and blame himself and/or the mobile broadband provider, if that's where the problems lay.  It is no news your customers have been denied that for years.  I'm afraid you'll have to live with customers complaining about that, for as long as such a feature is not available to them.

Sam skrev:

This is not a news flash. It's been done for years. I have stated a recent while back now that a user-friendly syslog is coming in a future firmware update.

And that was what needed to be said.  Nothing else.

Sam skrev:

I had already informed Cii on this forum about that if you poke around.

I can confirm that.  No details, though.  This may be an opportunity to inform and hear with your customers what they expect that syslog should include.  AFAICT, the PPP details are most important to reveal.  That may even help everyone to direct the disapointments to the mobile broadband providers instead of to the router manufacturer.  The other thing would be log messages from the wireless daemon (hostapd?).  What's interesting are connections/disconnections and the reasons.  Possibly arrange for different levels of detail?

Sam skrev:

Yes, POKE around, and not POST around.

Now, there's a lot of info on the forum.  You can't possibly expect everyone reading everything, can you?

Sam skrev:

Your campaign tonight to discredit us as a brand, and me personally as a original member of this forum is quickly becoming counterproductive;

Now, that's a bit exagerated, but possibly not unexpected.

Sam skrev:

and eventually give us very little reason to continue (after 4 years of) contributing and assisting folks in a anonymous member arena such as this forum;

You should try to understand that your effort (contribution and assistance, as you call it) during the past 4 yers, might be something that kept you going as a company, but failed to convince your customers they should accept the problems they experience with the products your company produces.

Sam skrev:

where people such as yourselves have the luxury to slander others from the shadows.

Now, that was not good marketing, and you know it.  Thy shall not blame your customers for buying your company's products and complaining the products don't work as they expect them to.  The customer is always right (even if the opposite may be proven).

Sam skrev:

How many companies do you know would even participate in such a public anonymous arena that wasn't managed by them?

Some of those companies may have cheaper products (1/3 of your products price) and less functional problems and a syslog?  After all, customers want their money worth.  The other companies may have found a better balance?

Sam skrev:

I personally have put in a lot of time and effort in assisting people long before you joined, even if their issue is completely unrelated to our product. What you are doing now is taking away not only the time, but the will for me to continue doing the work I have set out to do. I work 24/7 to help people. Regardless of what you think about our brand, do not forget that behind each brand are people. Hard working people, with dedicated co-founders such as myself.

I think I understand your personal frustration over the "unappreciated" efforts to keep things floating.  But really, you can't expect satisfied customers unless your company can live up to their most reasonable expectations.  Maybe you and the other co-founders need to use a better strategy?  What do you say about giving your customers help to selfhelp (syslog and access to diagnostic tools), yesterday?  I'm quite convinced you'll not need to "work 24/7 to help people".  The people that can, will help other people and also help your company to put more quality into your products.

Sam skrev:

You have an issue with not being able to read logs, and we heard you loud and clear the first time. Cii has been even louder way before you, and I have stated that we simply haven't gotten around to introducing a user-friendly syslog. We intend to do it, as stated earlier.

Just prioritize that and bring some happines to your customers and to the "hard working people" behind your brand.  And when you're at it anyway, please also make sure the configuration file, that can be extracted and saved, is also readable.

Sam skrev:

Your paranoid implications of us spying on users is as ridiculous as saying that there's a camera hidden in your toilet.

Please, just drop this kind of judgements.  They're not appropriate.

Sam skrev:

Simply put, nobody's interested in seeing what you have to show. You ought to be more concerned with the cookies in your browser each time you visit a social networking site than the dozen employees at my company who got better things to do than play KGB.

True.  And you seem to understand that the customers own their data (configuration).  Keeping that hidden can only lead to suspicion.

Sam skrev:

And as mentioned, had we even been able to devise from a log file what is wrong with the 4GR's uptime when WLAN is enabled, then we would have resolved the entire situation before it ever would have even become one.

But you made a big and common mistake, you need to admit.  You considered your customers ignorant and you now need to mend the consequences.  You'll also need to work on making the syslog reveal the cause to the wlan and the other problems the products you push to the market make your customers unhappy about.  And that sooner, rather than later.

Cheers,

Free your mind, and your OS will follow.

Hej
Fungerar Dovado 4GR nu med e398 i 3G och/eller 4G nät. Finns begränsningar.
Curt

Är det en fråga?

Sam skrev:

Är det en fråga?

lol

Arof skrev:

Hej
Fungerar Dovado 4GR nu med e398 i 3G och/eller 4G nät. Finns begränsningar.
Curt

Hej jag har en 4gr med e398 med dubbla riktantenner och kör på telenor 3g har nu varit uppkopplad i 4 dygn med bra fart utan dropp eller omstart.

Telenor 4g. 2st wifi gallerantenner modifierade till telenors frekvenser, avm6840lte, Netgear WNR3500L v2 med tomato som ap, Netgear WNDR3700 v2 med rooter som ap, Synology ds212j nas

jag har dock problem med e1820 de kopplar ner sig hela tiden alltså...