Tråd: Bredband stor & hemtelefoni / Telenor SIP password

I figured I'd share this for those with hemtelefoni from telenor.

I had / have the DWR923 modem for a while. The trouble is that I've lost 2 of them already due to overvoltage / lightning strikes, and since they're not sold anymore and difficult to find, I had to find other long term solutions. Finding another modem for internet is easy (the tele2 huawei B593s-22 from netonnet worked out of the box, I don't think it's simlocked at all), but the VOIP part - that's more difficult. The telephone jacks on the B593 did nothing, but then the tele2 firmware doesn't offer voip parameters at all.

For a while I didn't care about the telephone, but after they raised my subscription to 449 SEK, they also added free phone calls to the subscription. With just a small fee for making a connection. Interesting! But how to get SIP working if my DWRs keep blowing up, other products don't auto-magically configure themselves and telenor doesn't want to give the SIP password?

Play with firmware it is. First, get a DWR923. Blocket or something, I was happy to find one for a reasonable price. After that getting the SIP password is actually very easy. Get a firmware version that configures the telephone and that can also export the settings (i.e. OG3611_v1.3.8.37_gui.img). Downgrade the modem and reset to factory default settings in order for the phone to configure and show up.

Head over to /platform.cgi?page=configuration.htm and export the configuration. Open the configuration (notepad++ or something) and search for " config.voip["sipprovider"][1]["USERNAME"] = ". There your password will be listed.

Great, now for a client. I messed around briefly with some SIP client on my PC (linphone), but didn't get it to work easily. Either way, I want to use a real phone anyway, so lets use the DWR unconventionally.

The modem is not the only thing I lost when lightning struck, as the over voltage propagated over the Ethernet cables and blackened part of my PC motherboard. That oen didn't boot anymore there after. It also backfed over the power supply and destroyed my server motherboard and the power supply on two separate occasions. And I can't avoid it happening again, so my new setup is to air gap the modem from the rest of the network entirely over wifi. Plus to use some sort of over voltage protection on the power supply. Great idea, but that means I can't connect the DWR directly to the antennas anymore, because I want to use it as my SIP box and I don't want to lose it. So how to get it online?

It does have a WAN port. But in recent firmware versions that is turned off. I found a version where it works though: OG3611_v1.0.70.30_gui.img It's old and buggy from what I read, but I only want it for the phone function anyway. Go to ./platform.cgi?page=wizard.htm, select the wizard for IP4 and change the selection from LTE to DHCP. After that the WAN port claimed an IP address from my modem.

You can try to load the config file exported earlier to get the SIP settings in, but that didn't do a thing for me. So I simply copied all info from the config file into the correct places on the voiceNumbers page. /platform.cgi?page=voiceNumbers.htm

One big issue is that it will try to upgrade itself when it has an internet connection. It doesn't actually need the simcard in the DWR for the SIP and internet to work (as we're going over WAN now), so we need to block that updating behavior, otherwise you end up with a version that has no WAN connectivity. Change the ACS server url at /platform.cgi?page=manufacturing.htm to something else that doesn't exist and it won't update anymore.

So now I have my sim in a B593, my SIP settings in an old DWR923 firmware version with WAN enabled and connected to the B593, and my DECT phone connected to the DWR923. Remains just the part of the airgap, but that's just any cheap wifi router in bridge mode between my wired network and the B593.

Couldn't have found the solution without all the info here, so I hope this helps someone else out again. Maybe it works with other SIP boxes as well. I didn't get it to work with a software SIP client, but I haven't tried much there either.

I'm really happy with telenor to be honest. Not the customer service, they couldn't help me find a single solution to get away from the DWR923. But service wise it's great. I'm about 12kms from the nearest tower. Connecting over 800Mhz I get about 50Mbit down, 20Mbit up with 2 yagis. No data limit, and just 0,79kr per call made for 449 SEK a month isn't bad at all. Pretty damn good really.

Sv: Bredband stor & hemtelefoni / Telenor SIP password

Couldn't make any urls in the post, sorry. =/

Since you are connecting to telenor on 800 MHz, you could have done with just a single AVM6840 international version bought from amazon.de

This router has its own sip box plus a dect station. The master of all the tricks is Vox Medievalis on this forum, read his posts.

The drawback with the german made AVM6840 is that it does not have LTE 900 or any 3G. A new router, the 6820, has been announced at Cebit by AVM. It should come in 3Q (or 4Q). That router should have all bands including 3G and LTE 900 and hopefully it also has built in VoIP.

It is expensive to have a solid lightning protection, up to 3000 euro for a good installation. I use Phoenix Contact three level surge protection on the incoming 400 volts in two locations. It is good that you won't need phone line surge protection, since those discardable units are very expensive.

As for the antenna, it should be DC-shorted and grounded, preferably to the same point as the electrical system. You could talk to an electrician regarding a "noll potential skena", that is a 25 mm2 copper wire which joins all ground in your equipment to outside earth - and the antenna + mast included.

The antenna coaxial cables should also have surge protectors of the kind often used by radio amateurs who also use 50 ohm impedance for antennas.

The ultimate protection would be to cut power whenever there is a thunderstorm nearby. You can do it over SMS. There might also be some web service that records lightning which could be used although I don't know if this is a working concept yet. For that matter, it shouldn't be that difficult to arrange a local lightning sensor sensing the electric field or maybe by AM radio. Lightning gives a very loud crack on AM, so a clipping level could be set over which level power for the modem is cut for a while. If you live in an area without too much electrical noise, the radio idea might be feasible.

There is lots to be found of you search on lightning detection. In the link, a radio amateur describes his homebuilt detector which also activates a relay which connects his long antenna wires to ground when ligning occurs. There are coaxial relays which can be used for shorting the cable. The shield should of course be grounded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8aJDfnLakY

since I installed Phoenix Contact multiple level surge protections about seven years ago, I never had any equipment failure due to lightning in my two locations in Sweden and Belgium. There happens to be a strong thunderstorm going on over Brussels  as I write this. It is pretty distant now so I dared to switch on the computer.

I shold mention that I had some simple dlink adsl modems misbehave after a couple or years and I think it could be because of cumulative damage from power surges.

Here's an american ready made system but he won't export outside the US.

http://www.stormwise.com/page7.htm

Here is a lightning alert web site

http://varningar.vader-alarm.se/

LTE testare på 4G 2600, 1800, 900, 800 med Fritzbox AVM 6890, AVM6840, AVM6842, AVM 6820 och AVM 7590/7490/7390 samt diverse mifis från ZTE och Netgear. Några huaweimodem på hyllan.

Just a confirmation of the opinion from Jonasolof regarding his surge protection system. Since 2006 I also have a  Phoenix Trabtech three level surge system installed (I did it myself !) in and outside (the electrical meter is placed in av free-standing metalcase outdoor) my countryside house. Since that time I never shut down my routers or DC/DC-konverters for current feeding whatever thunderstorm occurs. The system is worth every penny !

HUS 1 i tätort: AVM 6840 LTE/Telia  med sektorantenn (Wimo 18705.12 DUAL), VoIP.
HUS 2 i glesbygd: E-lins H900 LTE 4G/Telia med sektorantenn (Wimo 18707.15 DUAL), VoIP.                     
HUS 2 i glesbygd: (Failover) E-lins H820 450 LTE/Net1 med 2x12 elements riktantenner. VoIP
MOBILT: E-lins H900 LTE 4G/Telia med 2 takantenner; VoIP.  RESERV: AVM 6840 LTE och AC810

Vox, do you have surge protection for the antenna cables?

LTE testare på 4G 2600, 1800, 900, 800 med Fritzbox AVM 6890, AVM6840, AVM6842, AVM 6820 och AVM 7590/7490/7390 samt diverse mifis från ZTE och Netgear. Några huaweimodem på hyllan.

No, not yet. Besides I have severel very high birches 50 to 100 meters from the house but anyway I do plan for a ground wire round the buildning and will then connect my antenna coaxials to it.

HUS 1 i tätort: AVM 6840 LTE/Telia  med sektorantenn (Wimo 18705.12 DUAL), VoIP.
HUS 2 i glesbygd: E-lins H900 LTE 4G/Telia med sektorantenn (Wimo 18707.15 DUAL), VoIP.                     
HUS 2 i glesbygd: (Failover) E-lins H820 450 LTE/Net1 med 2x12 elements riktantenner. VoIP
MOBILT: E-lins H900 LTE 4G/Telia med 2 takantenner; VoIP.  RESERV: AVM 6840 LTE och AC810

I have a ground wire around my houses in Sweden, connected to a common ground for the electrical system.

As I wrote yesterday, we had a very strong thunderstorm. An old Linksys WRT54GL used as an accesspoint got electrocuted which I only noticed today. It can be reset but is unstable. I put in a TP-link MR3420 instead.

I have had a WRT54GL loose settings before but that was in a house without lightning protection. I do feel that this old model is sensitive.

The powers that be appears to have been challenged by my statement that I had not had any euqipment failure in a house with Phoenix lightnig protection.