1 Senaste redigerad av yo bro! (2012-06-22 12:24:09)

Tråd: where's my tower? which e398 ext antenna socket to use?

Hi,

I bought one of these: http://www.kjell.com/sortiment/telefoni … enn-p30055

but have had no luck guessing where to point it.  I've gotten 64% (reading on my Dovado 4gr... dunno what that is in dbi) with/without the external antenna, no difference.

Does Telenor publish lat/lng for their towers?  I think I need to point this thing accurately.

Anyone know which socket I should use for the Huawei?  I've found no instructions anywhere yet.

Perhaps that antenna isn't a good choice.... any advice?

Thanks in advance!  Replies in Swedish are fine, thanks.

Replies in Swedish are fine, thanks!

Sv: where's my tower? which e398 ext antenna socket to use?

bumpage.

seriously, how does one find towers in the Telenor/Tele2 network?

1) This is what you can use on the E398 modem together with that antenna. The clerks at Kjell know quite a bit about things: http://www.kjell.com/sortiment/dator-kr … ter-p30853

2) http://www.natkollen.pts.se - type in the address and get (very likely outdated) information about what's in your proximity.

3) Call your operator and ask. It is an issue of national security as to why the original map run by PTS was removed.

Thanks

Sam

Telenor's coverage map lets you move around to check the field strength for e.g. 4G 900. By moving the position ikon you can search for maximum field strength and get a fairly good idea of where the tower is placed. Having narrowed down the search area you then can go and look for the tower - or drive using equipment that allows for dB readings which gives better resolution when you already have five staples/pinnar. You'll probably get five on the Telenor coverage map several kilometers from the mast position, so driving and looking at dB readings quickly leads you in the right direction. The shadow of the mast is often visible on Google earth.

LTE testare på 4G 2600, 1800, 900, 800 med Fritzbox AVM 6890, AVM6840, AVM6842, AVM 6820 och AVM 7590/7490/7390 samt diverse mifis från ZTE och Netgear. Några huaweimodem på hyllan.

thanks, I appreciate the replies!

I understood to buy a pigtail from the start.  The Huawei E398 has two such sockets on-board for connection, that was the question.

I found this looking for an image to show what I meant just now, so hope that helps anyone else.  Short answer, it is MiMo.  I learned something new.  I guess you can use either one.  I now know where my antennae are (not where I was pointing).

from wikipedia skrev:

In radio, multiple-input and multiple-output, or MIMO (commonly pronounced my-moh or me-moh), is the use of multiple antennas at both the transmitter and receiver to improve communication performance. It is one of several forms of smart antenna technology. Note that the terms input and output refer to the radio channel carrying the signal, not to the devices having antennas.

Actually, Telenor's coverage map is better than Telia's because of the position/field strength option.

Having the position of towers secret is kind of futile. Even the Taliban can find cell towers although the towers are not listed. Any dedicated person could spot a tower in an hour. Besides, the positions are not that secret. They are only not public.

You can use one antenna or two. With Mimo, the speed should be higher. On the other hand, you won't get Mimo unless you separate the antennas and have them tilted 90 degrees for polarization differentiation. Then, maybe, you'll have Mimo, sort of.

Only one antenna connector is used for transmitting from the modem whereas both connectors are used ror reception. I don't know which one is for transmission though there should be some increase in upload speed when you use it - if your antenna makes any difference.

LTE testare på 4G 2600, 1800, 900, 800 med Fritzbox AVM 6890, AVM6840, AVM6842, AVM 6820 och AVM 7590/7490/7390 samt diverse mifis från ZTE och Netgear. Några huaweimodem på hyllan.

Thanks jonasolof. I switched socket to the lower one, and went from 13mbit/s download, to 20mbit/s smile

Huawei E1820/Huawei E398/Sierra Wireless 319U - Telenor 4G Maxi - Dovado 4GR
Poynting Riktantenn 12dBi

8 Senaste redigerad av jonasolof (2012-06-30 09:14:33)

Thanks for the link to the article. Some comments. The first test was made with a signal level of about 50 dB. Then you are probably less than one km from the tower and with this level, you shouldn't expect download to increase a lot. Certainly not by using stub antennas (Stummel-Antennen) and untold lengths of high loss coaxial cable. Further away, he tested the Funkwerk LTE 800 mimo panel and got a 10 dB increase in signal level over the modem without external antennas. Einfach. That's because the built in modem antennas deliver -2 to -3 dB gain from being made smaller than a half wavelength and pretty convoluted. You add the FWD antenna which gives 8 to 9 dB gain over a 0 dB theoretical reference antenna and the difference shows up as 10 dB.

I am doing a similar test now, with a Huawei E392 modem and a BAZ spezialantennen LTE 800 MIMO panel which is said to deliver 12 dB gain. The signal level is about 95 dB so an external antenna should boost speed. Vielleicht...

Edit: A 12 dB mimo panel antenna increased the speed a lot. Got 20/10-15 instead of 5/1. Telia indi cation from 30 to 70 percent. For 900 MHz, use a Poynting 800/900 panel. There aren't any german made 900 mimo panels since only 800, 1800 and 2600 are used in Germany (1800 coming).